Musings from a Ragamuffin

"Christianity is not a series of truths in the plural, but rather a truth spelled with a capital 'T'. Truth about total reality, not just about religious things. Biblical Christianity is Truth concerning total reality - and the intellectual hold of that Total Truth and then living in the light of that Truth." - Francis Schaeffer

My Photo
Name:
Location: Peoria, Arizona, United States

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Value of Perspective

The value of perspective is a great thing. It has come in quite handy during the past several days.

Friday: Our house was broken into and some valuables were taken along with my car. Many phone calls to church family and friends requesting prayers.
Saturday: Many phone calls canceling bank accounts and warning creditors of the situation. My car was recovered by the police.
Sunday: Church followed by a stomach bug with a high fever - spent all day being very sick and throwing-up.
Monday: Was supposed to begin new job - still had a high fever and had more phone calls to make because of Friday. Had to get rental car because the burglars took both sets of my car keys. Fever gone by evening. Received word from Davina's mom in Kansas that Davina's grandmother suffered a mild stroke and was taken to the hospital.
Tuesday: Finished most of the phone calls and errand running - fever returned in the afternoon, but I'm feeling much better now. Will start first day of work with new company tomorrow morning. Nervous and anxious about it all.

Davina asks "what is God trying to teach us?" I reply, "I don't know, I don't think anything in particular - we live in a fallen world with broken people, so I'm not too surprised."

It's tough to see what is on the other side of the horizon when you are standing this side of it. It's tough to know what the glass is going to be like when you're whirring away in the blender - but that's how it is sometimes and there isn't much you can do about it. I mentioned to Davina that if nothing else, this has definitely helped solidify my belief that the Christian worldview is the right one, because if more people adhered to the teachings of Christ, then less types of the these things would occur. I don't think we are be punished by God or that we had become too worldly or materialistic and so God was going to "take some away" to help us along. I just think that's the way the world is when you abandon belief in God and Christ - you get what you see on the news each night and in the paper each morning. It's pretty cut-and-dry in my opinion.

Thinking about Joseph and all he went through - his brothers hated him, tossed him in an empty cistern and sold him into slavery, he was falsely accused by Potiphar's wife and thrown into an Egyptian jail, and on and on his troubles went. But in spite of it all, Joseph remained faithful to God and in the end, God used him to save the Hebrew people. I'm not saying that God is going to us Davina or I to save the Christian community, but who knows what valuable lessons we will learn through all of this? For now, it's still all to close to the event, so some time will be needed to gain a more clear and proper perspective. But for now, I think it is safe to say that God could mold and shape and guide Joseph through his troubles, then he can do the same for us as well. While everyone needs prayers, including Davina and I, those who did this need prayers all the more. If we are not praying for them, then who is?

The Bible is more than just a guide book for life, it's an unfailing companion.

Shawn

6 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

I'm still praying for you brotha! You guys have been through a lot so take time to take care. You guys are great and if you need anything you know my number.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth C. said...

You said, "I don't think we are be punished by God or that we had become too worldly or materialistic and so God was going to "take some away" to help us along. I just think that's the way the world is when you abandon belief in God and Christ - you get what you see on the news each night and in the paper each morning. It's pretty cut-and-dry in my opinion."

I couldn't agree more!! But God will use your example of steadfast faith in the face of hardship to bless and inspire those around you. I will continue to pray for God's peace and protection to surround you and Davina. Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

We will also be praying for Davina's grandmother and about your first day on the job.

Take care!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger Shawn White said...

thanks for the prayers ya'll - we absolutely appreciate them.

Shawn

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger astraughnomer said...

hey there-you guys are still in my prayers! hope you've somehow managed to have a better week. how did your first day at the new job go?? we drove by your new office the other day when i was taking matt to the airport. :) hope that has been a blessing in this otherwise really tough week... you and davina are awesome; we love you guys!!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger Shawn White said...

Thanks Amber! The week has been turning out to be much better (dare I say the complete opposite) than last week. While the police still are not any closer to finding our stuff or the thieves, everything else has been going rather well. The new job is working out good so far - still only 2 days into it, but so far, so good. Also, I've had the pleasure of sharing two meals with Tom this week (lunch on Tuesday and dinner tonight) - there is never anything negative about that - how can you not be up!

Hope things are going well with you and Matt. Did he have a good flight?

Shawn

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone for their prayers for Shawn and I and all the crazy trials we've been thru lately.

Shawn - I can't describe how thankful I am for you. If I have to go thru this yucky stuff like our burglary - I'm glad to at least have you by my side and that we can support each other. Funny, Joseph's story has always been one of my favorites ever since I was little, but recently I have been learning entirely new lessons from it!!

Btw - my grandmother is recovering quite well from her stroke. Thanks to everyone for their prayers.

Saturday, December 02, 2006 10:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home